Cannes: Ari Folman’s 'The Congress' to Open Directors' Fortnight
Robin Wright and Paul Giamatti star in the sci-fi film.
Ari Folman’s The Congress will open the 45th Director’s Fortnight sidebar during the Cannes Film Festival on May 16, the organization announced in a release Friday.
The part-animation and part live-action film stars Robin Wright, Paul Giamatti, Jon Hamm, Harvey Keitel, Danny Huston and Frances Fisher. It is adapted from the sci-fi novel The Futurological Congress by Polish writer Stanislaw Lem.
This marks a return to Cannes for Folman, though in the independent sidebar. His Waltz with Bashir was a competition film in the Official Selection in 2008.
“The Congress is a haunted look on our future and the future of cinema,” said artistic director Edouard Waintrop. He will announce the remaining selections Tuesday.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David