Cannes: Directors' Fortnight Adds Miguel Gomes' 'Arabian Nights'

It is the second film to be announced for the sidebar ahead of full reveal April 21.

Portuguese director Miguel GomesArabian Nights trilogy will premiere in the Directors’ Fortnight sidebar during the Cannes Film Festival, organizers announced Saturday.

“It will set the pace of our program. Each film, directed with a wild fantasy and a great freedom, will have its day,” said artistic director Edouard Waintrop.

Gomes, whose Tabu won several festival awards around the globe in 2012, tells a political tale inspired by the Persian poems of the ancient 1001 Nights.

“The breathtaking triptych is inspired by the tales told by Scheherazade and by some events that occurred in Portugal between 2013 and 2014, while the country was subjected to a political power denying all forms of social justice,” said Waintrop.

The film is described as the story of a director who fails to find meaning in his work and runs away, leaving behind the character of Scheherazade to fill in and amuse the king. She must make sure not to bore the king, and she organizes the stories into three volumes, beginning this way: "It hath reached me, O auspicious King, that in a sad country among all countries …"

Directors’ Fortnight previously announced they will premiere Arnaud Desplechin’s My Golden Years. The full lineup will be announced April 21.

comments powered by Disqus