• The Hollywood Reporter on LinkedIn
  • Follow THR on Pinterest

Cannes: Director's Fortnight Condemns Remarks of Iranian Director

Taipei Factory Still - H 2013
Cannes Film Festival
"Taipei Factory"

Alireza Khatami, whose work appeared in omnibus film "Taipei Factory," said he was subjected to racism while filming in Taiwan and wishes he had ditched the Fortnight-backed project.

Organizers of Cannes sidebar the Director's Fortnight have officially denounced remarks made by Iranian director Alireza Khatami yesterday at a press conference after a screening of Taipei Factory, the Fortnight-backed omnibus collection of shorts about the Taiwanese capital.

STORY: Cannes: Festival-Commissioned Omnibus Films Come to Prominence

The Fortnight said in a statement: "The Directors' Fortnight denounces the defamatory statements made by a director Thursday during the question-and-answer session about Taipei Factory. We want to assure the Taipei film commission of our complete commitment to the project, its direction and its spirit. We are united in regretting this unfounded intervention."

REVIEW: Taipei Factory

Khatami said at the press conference that he had been subjected to racism while shooting in Taiwan and that he wishes he had abandoned the project. 

In an opening-night review of Taipei Factory The Hollywood Reporter's critic Stephen Dalton said, "intentions are noble enough but the results are highly uneven." Incidentally, he also said, "the best of the quartet is the closing chapter, Mr. Chang’s New Address, by Taiwanese director Chang Jung-chi and his Iranian collaborator, Alireza Khatami... this is the only film of the four likely to leave viewers wanting more."