Cannes: Film Movement Takes Camera d'Or Winner 'Ilo Ilo'
The film, directed by Anthony Chen, will be released in the first quarter of 2014.
Film Movement has acquired North American rights to first-time feature director Anthony Chen’s Ilo Ilo, which won the Camera D’Or at the Cannes Film Festival where it played in the Directors Fortnight.
The first Singaporean feature film to win a major prize at Cannes, the film, which is in Chinese, English and Tatalog, tells the story of a dysfunctional family in Singapore that brings in a Filipino nanny who tries to bring order to their lives.
The distributor plans a New York theatrical opening in the first quarter of 2014, with a limited national roll-out to follow as well as a day-and-date VOD premiere.
“As a company that prides itself in supporting first-time filmmakers and discovering new talent, we are truly honored to have acquired Anthony Chen’s beautiful film, and are confident that the Camera d’Or is only the first award in what we’re sure will be a long list of well deserved prizes in the near future,” Adley Gartenstein, Film Movement president, said.
The acquisition was negotiated by Gartenstein and Tanja Meissner, head of international sales at Memento Film International.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!