Cannes: Baz Luhrmann Directs His Own THR Interview (Video)
The “Great Gatsby” director charmed the camera crew by advising them on techniques to capture his sit-down.
It was his day off, but The Great Gatsby director Baz Luhrmann couldn’t resist doing a little directing when he sat down with The Hollywood Reporter in Cannes.
Luhrmann charmed the crew by asking to see the monitor and giving advice on camera technique -- all of it done with a wink.
“Did I say I wasn’t directing today?” he joked after turning on his auteur mode.
Luhrmann, who is at the Cannes Film Festival to promote Gatsby, praised the American story’s international appeal.
“Yes -- it’s fundamentally American, it’s absolutely New York, and yet it’s as meaningful and as relevant here on the Croisette or Tokyo as it is in Sydney, Australia.”
Luhrmann said he was inspired by Gatsby author F. Scott Fitzgerald’s incorporation of jazz and modern music into his novel, which the director also did with his film.
His greatest Gatsby thrill? Being told by Fitzgerald’s granddaughter she thought the author would have been proud of the film.
The Great Gatsby, which stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan and Tobey Maguire, opened the 66th Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday night. Luhrmann spoke with THR awards analyst Scott Feinberg.
Watch the video at the top of the post, and check out THR’s Cannes page for complete coverage from the fest.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram