Cannes: Harvey Weinstein Will Not Attend 'Grace of Monaco' Premiere Due to Refugee Camp Visit
After a very public war of words with director Olivier Dahan over the film's final edit, The Weinstein Co. has signed a rejiggered deal to ensure its release in the U.S.
Following the very public and protracted public battle between Grace of Monaco director Olivier Dahan and U.S. distributor Harvey Weinstein over the film's final edit, many had been predicting some awkward moments on the red carpet as the movie makes its world premiere at Cannes on Wednesday night.
But in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Weinstein reveals he won't attend the premiere with stars Nicole Kidman and Tim Roth.
“My wife Georgina and I have been in Jordan visiting two Syrian refugee camps, Al Zaatri yesterday and Azraq today. This was a long-planned trip with the UNHCR and our friend Neil Gaiman to bring attention plight of refugees who have been forced to flee Syria and the incredible work of UNHCR,” Weinstein said.
He added: “I’m wishing Olivier, Nicole, Pierre-Ange and Uday and the Grace of Monaco team all the best for the screening in Cannes tonight.”
Ending months of drama, The Weinstein Co. signed a rejiggered deal at Cannes on Wednesday to retain U.S. distribution rights to the film, which tells the glamorous real-life story of Grace Kelly’s marriage to Prince Rainier III of Monaco.
The source of the feud has been the preferred tone of the final version of the film, with Weinstein reportedly looking for a breezier rendition, while Dahan's version is said to to have painted a darker, more cautionary tale.