Cannes: 'Immigrant' Is the Most Talked-About Film on Facebook
James Gray's period drama leads the buzz on the social networking site.
As the 66th Cannes Film Festival winds its way to a conclusion, which competition films are being talked about the most online?
Facebook has compiled data from its global user base to find out which of the 20 films in competition for the Palme d'Or award were the most frequently mentioned during the week of May 15-22.
The social-networking site's leader: James Gray's The Immigrant. Set in the 1920s and starring Joaquin Phoenix, Marion Cotillard and Jeremy Renner, the film was found by Facebook to have received the most mentions by its users of any other Cannes competition title. The film premiered at Cannes on May 24.
The rest of the most-mentioned top five, in descending order, are Nicolas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives (starring Ryan Gosling), Alex van Warmerdam's thriller Borgman, Paolo Sorrentino's The Great Beauty (La Grande Bellezza) and the Liberace biopic Behind the Candelabra.
Facebook also analyzed which actors received the most mentions worldwide on the site, with a predictable pack of three Hollywood A-listers leading the category.
Ryan Gosling (Only God Forgives), Michael Douglas and Matt Damon (Behind the Candelabra), Carey Mulligan (Inside Lewlyn Davis) and Meng Li (A Touch of Sin) topped the list.
Ironically, Gosling didn't even need to attend the festival to be the most mentioned actor in a Cannes competition film. The star stayed stateside for the shoot of How to Catch a Monster and wrote a letter explaining his absence.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!