Cannes: Justin Timberlake Boarding Neil Bogart Biopic 'Spinning Gold'
Mark Damon's Foresight Unlimited will unveil the high-profile project at the upcoming Cannes Film Market, with Timberlake co-hosting a launch party.
Justin Timberlake is boarding Spinning Gold, a biopic of iconic 1970s record executive and wild man Neil Bogart, the founder of Casablanca who was closely aligned with the rise of disco.
Mark Damon's Foresight Unlimited is financing and and producing the film, and will shop the high-profile project to foreign buyers at the upcoming Cannes Film Market, coupled with a private party co-hosted by Timberlake (Damon knew Bogart).
Spinning Gold is set to start shooting early next year, although a director hasn't yet been announced. RCA Records will also partner on the project and will release the movie’s soundtrack. Timothy Scott Bogart, Neil Bogart's son, is writing the script.
Damon is producing with Timberlake, Laurence Mark, Timothy Scott Bogart and Gary A. Randall, both of Boardwalk Entertainment. CAA is representing North American rights.
Spinning Gold is described as a rags-to-riches story chronicling the tale of a poor kid from Brooklyn who went on to define the pop music culture of his time. In his day, Bogart, who died at the age of 39, was credited with discovering and launching the careers of a generation of superstars, including Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, Gladys Knight, KISS, Parliament, Donna Summer and the Village People.
Later, Bogart founded Boardwalk Records, where he promoted the New Wave movement.
"We are thrilled to partner on this iconic music tale that transcends popular culture," RCA Records president-COO Tom Corson said. "Our passion for this project will serve to help propel Spinning Gold to reach millions of music lovers around the world."
For the soundtrack, the music that Bogart promoted will be re-imagined by some of today's top recording stars, the filmmakers said.
"For over 30 years, my father's story has been the source of intense fascination," Timothy Scott Bogart said. "The wait to finally tell the story had always ben about partnering with the right person to play him -- and the wait ended the first time Justin I ever met."
Added Damon: And with some of the music industry's luminary artists lining up to join Justin in telling Neil's incredible life story, the film is going to be a wild, music extravaganza that will light up the screen. And I have a personal interest in bringing Neil's story to the screen, as I started my career working with Neil at Casablanca Records and Filmworks."
Timberlake was already planning to be in Cannes for the worldwide premiere of Joel and Ethan Coen's Inside Lleweyn Davis, starring Timberlake opposite Carey Mulligan.
Timberlake is repped by WME and Monton/Yorn.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!