Cannes: Magnolia Picks Up Tony Jaa's 'The Protector 2' for U.S.
Sahamongkolfilm International's 3D action vehicle, which will be the highest budget Thai film ever made, has also been sold throughout Aisa.
Tony Jaa is back in, well... action, of course. The Thai martial arts star is returning to the screen in October with The Protector 2 (Thai title: Tom Yum Goon 2, aka TYG2), helmed by director Prachya Pinkaew and action choreographer Panna Ritthikrai, who help Jaa achieve pan-Asia mega stardom in the Ong Bak trilogy and the first Tom Yum Goong project. With a reported budget of $20 million,The Protector 2 is set to become the highest-budget Thai film ever produced.
Sahamongkolfilm has sold the title to Magnolia Pictures for North America. Various other territories have also come onboard, including Russia (Volga), South Korea (Sonamu), Hong Kong (Edko), Singapore (Scorpio East), Malaysia (RAM) and India (Indo Overseas). The Thai studio has been showing buyers in Cannes a 30-minute 3D promo reel of TYG2. Negotiations for additional deals in the U.K. and Canada are said to be underway.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead