Cannes 2012: Nelson Pereira Dos Santos' Latest Film to Screen
Special screening of "Music According to Tom Jobim" brings renowned Brazilian helmers to the fest.
BUENOS AIRES -- Brazilian cinema will be a guest of honor at the 65th Cannes Film Festival, said the fests’ organizers at a press conference in Paris last Thursday, according to a report by AFP.
The festival will host a special screening of Music According to Tom Jobim, the latest film by legendary Brazilian filmmaker Nelson Pereira dos Santos.
Dos Santos’ film is a “tribute to Tom Jobim, the creator of bossa nova," said Thierry Frémaux, programmer and right hand of Cannes’ head Gilles Jacob.
Consisting purely of music and no interviews, the film features the music of Jobim as played by Brazilian musicians and others like Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie and Judy Garland.
Frémaux also specified that several renowned Brazilian directors will be invited to attend the special evening that will honor Brazilian cinema, including Cinema Novo director Carlos Diegues (Xica da Silva, Quilombo), Ruy Guerra (Malandro and Of Gods and the Undead), and director, scriptwriter and producer Eduardo de Oliveira Coutinho (Edificio Master, Songs).
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10