Cannes: Philippe Rousselot Awarded Festival's First Cinematography Honor
Kristin Scott Thomas and Uma Thurman celebrated the Oscar winner at a beachside dinner ceremony.
CANNES – Kristin Scott Thomas and Uma Thurman celebrated Oscar-winner Philippe Rousselot for being awarded the first annual Pierre Angenieux Excellens in Cinematography Honor.
"It’s not just me being honored, but all cinematographers," Rousselot tells The Hollywood Reporter at the beachside dinner ceremony. "I’ll take it for everyone."
The Oscar and Cesar-winner is known for his work on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sherlock Holmes and Lions for Lambs. He worked with Thurman on Dangerous Liaisons (1998) and Henry & June (1990), and with Scott Thomas on Random Hearts (1999).
He won an Oscar for 1992's A River Runs Through It and was also a member of the Cannes Film Festival jury in 1995.
“When I heard about this I thought it was very, very important and wanted to come,” Scott Thomas tells THR. “You forget some cinematographers but some bring something intangible that opens you up and gives you confidence, a feeling that you’re being helped as an actor, a feeling like they’re on your side. A really great [director of photography] is vital, and he’s one of those.”
“A cinematographer can be your greatest ally or your greatest enemy,” she laughed.
The Pierre Angenieux is named after the founder of the famed lens company, and the prize will be handed out annually.
“[Festival president] Gilles Jacob and [director] Thierry Fremaux have been very supportive,” said Thales Angenieux’s CEO Pierre Anduran on the creation of the honor. “It’s important for film actors and directors to pay tribute to the technicians that are behind the camera.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!