Cannes: Psy Impersonator Tricks Festival Organizers, Partygoers
A man pretending to be the “Gangnam Style” singer attended several exclusive events at the festival.
Will the real Psy please stand up?
Plenty of celebrities have made their way to Cannes over the past week and a half, but one music star -- who many thought made an appearance -- did not.
Psy, singer of the hit “Gangnam Style” was spotted all over town, attending festival parties and events and posing for photos with festgoers and other celebrities.
But it turns out that the man was not Psy at all, but rather an imposter using his name and fame to get access to the festival.
“Seems like there's another ME at cannes ... say Hi to him,” tweeted the real Psy on Wednesday. The musician, who did make an appearance in Cannes in January, has been busy in the U.S., attending the Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas and visiting Live With Kelly and Michael in New York.
The fake Psy painted the French town red for two days, enjoying a day at the Martinez beach restaurant, and partying at night at the Carlton hotel.
Photo service FilmMagic posted photos labeling the man Psy as he was escorted by security May 21 to the Martinez hotel. He was wearing a blue blazer, white pants and Psy’s signature sunglasses. The labels on the photos were changed after news broke that the man was an imposter.
Many partygoers also were duped by the man, with plenty of images popping up on Twitter of people posing with the imposter.
Skyfall actress Naomie Harris also fell for the act, tweeting an image of herself posing with faux Psy at the May 21 Chopard party.
Organizers of the fest did not immediately returns THR’s request for comment.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Cultural Appropriation FAQs, Featuring Vanessa Hudgens And The Return Of The Celebrity Bindi
- Katy Perry's 'Birthday' Music Video Ruins All Birthday Parties
- Betty White Tells Larry King She Doesn't Understand Homophobes
- Annecy attendees will be the first to feast their eyes on "Feast," Walt Disney Animation Studios' newest short