Cannes: Reese Witherspoon Stars in 'Devil's Knot' (Exclusive Image)
Atom Egoyan is directing the crime drama, which also stars Colin Firth.
With the Cannes Film Festival nearing the finishing stretch, the independent film business is turning its attention to the fall festival circuit. One title that’s likely to make an appearance is Atom Egoyan’s much-anticipated Devil’s Knot, loosely based on Mara Leveritt’s 2002 nonfiction book about the infamous West Memphis Three case.
From Worldview Entertainment, the crime thriller stars Reese Witherspoon as Pam Hobbs, the mother of Steve Branch, one of the three children savagely murdered in Arkansas in 1993. Alessandro Nivola plays Terry Hobbs, her husband and Steve’s stepfather. Colin Firth also stars.
The notorious case sparked national headlines when Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr. were convicted and sentenced to life in prison. After new forensic evidence was put forth and the case became a cause celebre, the three were released after serving 18 years.
CAA is selling North American rights to Devil's Knot, while The Weinstein Co. is handling international sales. Producers are Elizabeth Fowler, Richard Saperstein, Clark Peterson and Worldview CEO Christopher Woodrow. Worldview’s Molly Conners, Sarah Johnson Redlich, Maria Cestone and Hoyt David Morgan are executive producing.
View The Hollywood Reporter's exclusive image from the film above.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR