Cannes: Robert Redford to Direct 'A Walk in the Woods'
Redford, who also will star opposite Nick Nolte, has long wanted to make a film adaptation of Bill Bryson's best-selling book.
Robert Redford has decided to direct A Walk in the Woods, a project he's long been pursuing and always intended to star in. He'll star opposite Nick Nolte.
Based on travel writer Bill Bryson's popular book A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, the movie is finally taking shape. IM Global is taking the film to the Cannes Film Market for Route One Films, which is producing.
WME is representing domestic rights, while a summer start date is being eyed. Producers include Route One's Jay Stern, Chip Diggins and Russell Levine.
Richard Linklater had been in the mix to direct but fell out in recent days. At that point, Redford decided to take over the directing reins, according to insiders.
Bryson's book recounts his attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail with a friend (that role hasn't been cast).
It's possible that IM Global will bring in Redford to meet with foreign buyers in Cannes, since his film All Is Lost is making its world premiere at the corresponding Cannes Film Festival.
Redford is repped by WME.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)