Cannes 2012: Samuel Goldwyn Films Acquires Stephen Gyllenhaal's 'Grassroots'
The politically-themed film, which will be released in June, stars Jason Biggs, Joel David Moore and Cedric the Entertainer.
Samuel Goldwyn Films has acquired U.S. rights to Stephen Gyllenhaal’s Grassroots, starring Jason Biggs, Joel David Moore, Lauren Ambrose, Cobie Smulders, Tom Arnold, Christopher McDonald and Cedric The Entertainer.
The film, inspired by true events and written by Gyllenhaal and Justin Rhodes, concerns a political unknown, played by Moore, who takes on a Seattle City Councilman (Cedric the Entertainer) as part of a campaign to bring a monorail to the city. Biggs plays a fired alternative weekly reporter who runs the campaign.
The film was produced by Peggy Rajski, Michael Huffington, Matthew R. Brady, Brent Stiefel, Peggy Case and MRB Productions.
Goldwyn is planning a June 22 release to take advantage of the fact that the movie will have its world premiere as the closing night film at the Seattle International Film Festival on June 10.
“We are thrilled to be working with Stephen and his team on this highly entertaining and engaging film about the inner workings of a political campaign. The fact that we’re in an election year with the Occupy Movement front and center, makes the film all the more relevant and timely,” Peter Goldwyn, senior vp of acquisitions, said.
Goldwyn and Ian Puente, the company’s general counsel and VP, development, negotiated the deal with Maren Olson of Traction Media and attorney Darin Frank, who both repped the filmmakers.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)