Cannes 2012: Tim Roth to Head Un Certain Regard Jury
The British actor will pick the best of 20 films in the official selection's category alongside a jury that will be announced in Paris next week.
Reservoir Dogs star Tim Roth will be back for another romp on the Riviera as president of the Un Certain Regard Jury, organizers said Thursday.
The British actor, who first came to Cannes with Quentin Tarantino's 1992 cult hit, will pick the best of the 20 titles selected for the category alongside a team of fellow jurors, who will be announced along with the entire official selection during an April 19 news conference in Paris. The Lie to Me star will give his honest opinion of the selection and present awards to the winners at a ceremony on May 26, the day before the fest wraps.
Roth began his career in television before moving on to big-screen success in Stephen Frears' The Hit. After coming to Cannes with Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs, he returned in 1994 for the director’s Palme d’Or-winning Pulp Fiction. A year later, Roth was nominated for an Oscar for his role in Michael Caton-Jones' Rob Roy, then directed his first film, The War Zone, in 1999, a hit at Cannes, Sundance and Toronto.
Other notable titles in Roth’s extensive filmography include Wim Wenders’ Don't Come Knocking, Tim Burton’s Planet of the Apes, Michael Haneke’s Funny Games and Woody Allen’s Everyone Says I Love You. More recently, the prolific actor has starred as the lead in the U.S. TV series Lie to Me.
Last year's Un Certain Regard prize was shared by Kim Ki-Duk’s Arirang and Andreas Dresen’s Halt Stopped on Track.
The Cannes Film Festival runs May 17 to May 27.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services