Cannes: Uma Thurman Set to Star in Anita Bryant Pic
Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman will direct the film, with Darren Star among the producers.
Uma Thurman is set to star as anti-gay activist Anita Bryant in Anita, directed by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman from a screenplay by Chad Hodge.
The film follows Bryant, a former celebrity singer and orange juice spokeswoman, who, when she allows a gay screenwriter into her home, is forced to confront her past as an anti-gay Christian crusader who successfully campaigned to overturn a gay rights law in Florida and destroyed her show biz career in the process.
UTA Independent Film Group and WME are co-representing domestic rights, and are shopping the project to financiers in Cannes.
Epstein and Friedman, a successful filmmaking team since 1987, aren't strangers to depicting real-life people and events. They recently directed the Linda Lovelace biopic Lovelace, starring Amanda Seyfried, Peter Sarsgaard and Sharon Stone, while their documentary The Battle of amFAR will be broadcast on HBO in early December.
Anita has high-caliber producers in Sex and the City showrunner Darren Star, Howard Rosenman, Jeffrey Schwarz and Dennis Erdman.
Thurman is represented by UTA, Untitled Entertainment and attorney Ira Schreck. Star is represented by UTA.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)