CanWest Former CEO to Launch Canadian Fantasy TV Sports Channel
Leonard Asper has secured a license from the CRTC to launch a cable network allowing viewers to imagine themselves operating real franchises.
TORONTO – Leonard Asper is betting again on TV after the former Canwest Global Communications Corp CEO saw his family-controlled media group collapse under the weight of a heavy debt load and losses.
Asper’s Fight Media has secured a broadcast license from the CRTC to launch a fantasy sports TV channel with call-in shows for fans.
The League – Fantasy Sports TV will allow viewers to summon their inner coach and imagine themselves operating a real sports franchise, down to player trades and coach firings.
Asper took the helm at Fight Media, which already operates The Fight Network channel, after in 2010 leaving Canwest Global before its varied media assets were sold off.
The cable channel is undergoing a makeover from a focus on hard-core MMA and other combat sports to targeting a more educated audience with lifestyle advertising.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR