'Captain Phillips' Trailer: Tom Hanks Teams With Paul Greengrass for Somali Pirates Thriller (Video)
The Columbia Pictures film is based on a 2009 cargo ship hijacking.
Tom Hanks plays a cargo ship captain trying to fend off Somali pirates in the first look at Captain Phillips.
Paul Greengrass, director of 9/11 drama United 93, Iraq war action title Green Zone and the latter two Bourne sequels, is helming the Columbia Pictures film. The trailer sees Greengrass employ a similar tense, realistic style for Captain Phillips.
The film is based on a 2009 international incident where cargo ship Maersk Alabama was overrun by Somali pirates, who hijacked the ship, leading to the intervention by Navy SEAL snipers.
The story is based on the book A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, and Dangerous Days at Sea that was co-authored by Capt. Richard Phillips.
"Listen up, we have been boarded by armed pirates. If they find you, remember you know the ship -- they don't," Hanks commands his crew in the clip.
The release date for the film is set for October 11.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR