Carey Mulligan Passes on Hillary Clinton Biopic
The actress was being eyed to play the former first lady in James Ponsoldt's film.
Carey Mulligan will not be stepping into Hillary Rodham Clinton's shoes for Rodham, Temple Hill and The Arlook Group’s biopic of the former first lady, New York senator and secretary of state.
The Great Gatsby actress was being courted to play Clinton and, according to sources, was offered the role after meeting with director James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now) last week.
Insiders, however, say the actress, who just moved from CAA to WME, was not prepared to commit to the role.
Sources said Ponsoldt is working with Rodham’s scribe Young Il Kim on a director’s draft and he, along with producers Wyck Godfrey, Marty Bowen and Richard Arlook, will resume the search shortly.
Rodham centers on Clinton as a young lawyer on the committee involved in President Richard Nixon's impeachment, and her juggling a diverging career path with her unresolved feelings for future President Bill Clinton.
Several actresses' names have been talked about to take on the widely admired but often polarizing figure, including Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Chastain and Emma Stone.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10