Carly Rae Jepsen, Leonard Cohen Early Winners at Junos
The "Call Me Maybe" singer won her first trophy at Canada's music awards, which hands out its top prizes Sunday night.
TORONTO - "Call Me Maybe" singer Carly Rae Jepsen on Saturday night won her first Juno by earning the best pop album of the year trophy in pre-televised prize-giving.
Jepsen came into Canada’s music awards pitted against mentor and Canadian pop phenom Justin Bieber in four categories.
Another early winner ahead of a Sunday night gala airing nationwide was Leonard Cohen, earning artist of the year honors to beat out Jepsen and Bieber.
Cohen’s trophy was accepted on his behalf by son and singer/songwriter Adam Cohen, who also performed at the Canadian kudosfest.
Toronto R&B artist Abel Tesfaye, also known as The Weeknd, picked up trophies for breakthrough artist of the year and R&B/soul recording of the year for the compilation album Trilogy.
And rock band Metric’s Synthetica release won for best alternative album, band member James Shaw was named producer of the year and art director Justin Broadbent won for recording package of the year.
The highest-profile Junos will be handed out tonight on CTV’s telecast of the music awards from Regina, Saskatchewan, hosted by Michael Buble.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!