Carmaggedon Alternative: JetBlue Offering Flights Between Burbank and Long Beach
The tickets will cost just $4 as the massive 405 freeway shutdown approaches this weekend.
JetBlue airlines is offering a novel way to avoid Carmageddon traffic in Los Angeles this weekend: flights between Burbank and Long Beach.
The airline is offering two flights each way on Saturday. The airfare? Just $4 and for an extra $1 you can upgrade to a seat with extra legroom. (This must be the cheapest airline ticket in the U.S.)
“We're helping Angelenos get over the gridlock altogether and enjoy the Valley or the beach, their favorite soccer match or a food festival, without having to brave the traffic jams to get there," said Mark Rogers, JetBlue's L.A. marketing manager.
The approximately 28-mile flight is scheduled to take between 35 and 45 minutes. The airline announced the promotion Wednesday morning, and by 3 p.m., it had sold all 600 seats.
Of course, the irony of Jet Blue’s promotion is that flying between Burbank and Long Beach doesn’t get you around what’s expected to be the worst parts of Carmageddon, which will see the 405 freeway shut down between the 101 and 10 freeways.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama