Casey Anthony Compared to O.J. Simpson by Media Pundits After Not Guilty Verdict
"O.J. Simpson is alive and free and living in the body of a 25-year-old sociopath named Casey Anthony," fumes one columnist.
Casey Anthony was acquitted of murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee, Tuesday in Florida, causing media pundits to immediately begin comparing her to O.J. Simpson, who received the same verdict for the deaths of his ex Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman.
"O.J. Simpson is alive and free and living in the body of a 25-year-old sociopath named Casey Anthony," wrote Andrea Peyser in the New York Post under the headline, "The glove fits -- this head case becomes new O.J." that was touted on the paper's front page.
"Casey's lawyers clearly read the O.J. playbook. They played the mommy card, painting the ridiculous picture of a loving mother who made mistakes," fumed Peyser.
Former Michigan prosecutor Carl Marling called the verdict: "Like the OJ Simpson case - a clear failure of the jury system… just because we say the jury system we have is the best, that doesn’t make it perfect."
Wrote Dennis Romero in L.A. Weekly: "And after the not guilty verdict form Florida in the Casey Anthony case, we haven't seen this much public outrage over a the jury's allegedly shortsighted decision since a man named O.J. Simpson was widely believed to have gotten away with murder right here in L.A.
TMZ's Harvey Levin, a lawyer, Tweeted, "having covered OJ Simpson ... nothing really shocks me anymore. but this verdict really surprises me....especially how quickly it came." (It was reached in about 12 hours.)
George Diaz wrote in the Orlando Sentinel after the verdict was read: "I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I believe O.J. killed his wife Nicole and Ronald Goldman. I believe Casey Anthony is responsible for the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee."
"Much like O.J., Casey will benefit because America has an odd fixation with people whom many seem to hate," he added. "Casey Anthony is very likely going to get a book deal out of this, a movie deal, too. Who knows, she may pose nude for Playboy for all I know. She will make a ton of money."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack