Cates to produce Academy Awards
Gil Cates will produce next year's Academy Awards, marking the 14th time he's been hired for the job -- more than any other person in show history.
AMPAS named Cates as the telecast's producer Monday.
"He's so talented ... so creative and inventive, and so enormously passionate about the Oscars," said Academy President Sid Ganis. "All of that will again translate into a night that people can't wait to experience."
Previous Oscar telecasts produced by Cates have resulted in 99 Emmy nominations and 25 awards, including a 1991 Emmy for Cates for producing the 63rd edition of the Academy Awards.
It will be up to Cates to choose this year's host. Ellen DeGeneres served as Oscar host last year for the first time. Among those Cates has selected before include Steve Martin, Jon Stewart, Chris Rock and Billy Crystal.
The 80th Academy Awards presentation will take place on Feb. 24, 2008.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR