'Cats and Dogs' Director Joins Canine Comedy at Gold Circle Films (Exclusive)
Larry Guterman, who might be best known for directing the 2001 kid-friendly comedy Cats and Dogs, has come aboard to helm the live-action family comedy Dog’s Best Friend for Gold Circle Films.
Based on a spec by Ben August brought in by exec Brad Kessell, the project is described as a “dogmance” involving a “free-spirited” dog and his commitment-phobic master, who together break up a dognapping ring. The project has been described as I Love You Man but with one side being a dog. Newbie scriibe August wrote the spec while living in Vietnam teaching English.
Cats and Dogs was an early effort to mix live action and CGI, a practice that is now common with movies such as The Smurfs and the Chipmunks series. Guterman will once again showcase his mixology expertise when bringing the canines to life in Dog's Best Friend.
Gold Circle’s Paul Brooks is producing with the company’s Scott Niemeyer executive producing. Gold Circle is currently shooting the music-based comedy Pitch Perfect, which Universal will distribute, and has The Haunting in Georgia in postproduction.
Guterman recently directed the Cartoon Network pilot Mongo Wrestling Alliance and is developing a feature titled Valedictorian for producer Mason Novick (Juno).
Both Guterman and August are repped by APA, Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment and Eclipse Law.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'