CBS Commissions British Format Show ‘The Audience’ for U.S. Market
ITV Studios sells fresh format that sees one individual at a crossroads in life followed by 50 ordinary people looking to work out what the person should do.
LONDON – U.S. network CBS has commissioned a pilot of a brand new format from ITV Studios which sees an individual at a crossroads opening up every corner of their life to an audience of 50 ordinary people who follow them around constantly for a week to find out where the trouble really lies.
Developed by indie production banner The Garden, ITV Studios also sealed deals for the format show The Audience to France and the Netherlands.
ITV Studios America produced a pilot for CBS and French broadcaster TF1 has commissioned a series from ITV Studios France.
In addition ITV Studios Global Entertainment has closed a deal with RTL 4 in the Netherlands.
Paul Buccieri, managing director ITV Studios International and CEO ITV Studios America said: “The Garden have devised a fantastic concept with The Audience in which the wisdom of the crowd is used to get to the bottom of one individual’s personal dilemma. This is an idea which very naturally crosses cultural and geographical borders as well as visually bringing something special to the screen. We are looking forward to working with our broadcast partners to start production on this unique idea around the world.”
The Garden’s chief executive Nick Curwin said: "We've been passionate about this idea for two years now and it's taken that long to develop it and pilot it. So it's hugely rewarding to see others start to share our passion for The Audience and we can't wait to see all the international versions."
In the U.K. the show is currently in production by The Garden for Channel 4.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)