CBS tweets 'Amazing Race' renewal
15th season announcement a first for web service
CBS' "The Amazing Race" was picked up for a 15th cycle Thursday and made history as the first series whose renewal was announced on Twitter.
Using the micro-blogging service, "Race" host Phil Keoghan posted the following tweet Thursday: "Great news. Just got the call from the network. CBS has ordered another season of 'The Amazing Race.' "
Instead of confirming through the regular channels, CBS also opted to do so on Twitter, whose popularity among Hollywood types has exploded over the past few months.
"This just in: CBS has ordered another season of the Emmy-winning 'Amazing Race,' " CBS' tweet said. "Official announcement coming."
After breaking technological ground, the network did follow up with a traditional news release, offering more details on the pickup.
Casting for the 15th edition of "Race" is under way. Keoghan is on a 40-day, 3,500-mile bike ride across America, which ends in New York City on May 9, the day before the season finale of "Amazing Race 14." Along the way, he will appear at three of the open castings calls: Chicago (April 24), Pittsburgh (May 1) and New York (May 8).
Since its 2001 premiere, "Race" has won six consecutive Emmys for best reality competition series, taking home the trophy every year since the category was created.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!