CBS tweets 'Amazing Race' renewal
15th season announcement a first for web service
CBS' "The Amazing Race" was picked up for a 15th cycle Thursday and made history as the first series whose renewal was announced on Twitter.
Using the micro-blogging service, "Race" host Phil Keoghan posted the following tweet Thursday: "Great news. Just got the call from the network. CBS has ordered another season of 'The Amazing Race.' "
Instead of confirming through the regular channels, CBS also opted to do so on Twitter, whose popularity among Hollywood types has exploded over the past few months.
"This just in: CBS has ordered another season of the Emmy-winning 'Amazing Race,' " CBS' tweet said. "Official announcement coming."
After breaking technological ground, the network did follow up with a traditional news release, offering more details on the pickup.
Casting for the 15th edition of "Race" is under way. Keoghan is on a 40-day, 3,500-mile bike ride across America, which ends in New York City on May 9, the day before the season finale of "Amazing Race 14." Along the way, he will appear at three of the open castings calls: Chicago (April 24), Pittsburgh (May 1) and New York (May 8).
Since its 2001 premiere, "Race" has won six consecutive Emmys for best reality competition series, taking home the trophy every year since the category was created.
- The Epic Disney Blow-Up of 1994
- Mickey Rooney's Final Days Marred by Bizarre Family Feud
- Why Stephen Colbert Is the Perfect David Letterman Replacement
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Nurse Jackie" Is At Its Most Dramatic This Season
- Non-Newtonian Fluids Rock Out As Stars Of Jack White's New Music Video
- Dave Attell's 'Road Work' & 'Comedy Underground' Bring His Raw, Unfiltered Style Back To TV
- James Cameron: The Scripts For All Three 'Avatar' Sequels Are Almost Done, Plus More Reddit AMA Highlights