Celebrities React to Scotland Rejecting Independence
A mixture of relief, elation, sadness and hopes of reconciliation mark the tweets from a host of stars
After a exhausting two-year campaign, Scotland rejected independence on early Friday morning local time.
According to the BBC, the final result after all regions had reported was 55 percent of Scottish people voting in favor of remaining in the U.K. with 45 percent voting for independence.
Just as the referendum had celebrities rushing to Twitter before the vote, the result led to an outpouring of emotion on social media from those backing either side. Those favoring remaining part of the U.K. expressed a mixture of relief and elation at the close nature of the result, and those favoring Scottish independence sadness and some hope that Scotland will get more powers in a more federal U.K.
Below are a selection of tweets; we'll update them through the day as more people react to the momentous news.
Exit polls sound very ominous for YES. Now everybody on both sides must ensure Cameron and Milliband keep heir promises and not weasel out.— Rupert Murdoch (@rupertmurdoch) September 18, 2014
Feel sad for those who campaigned hard for a yes vote. Hopefully some meaningful change will come of this. It was by no means a landslide.— Simon Pegg (@simonpegg) September 19, 2014
Referendum result: a new constitutional settlement for UK. Big thank you to people of Scotland for putting devo for England on the agenda.— Billy Bragg (@billybragg) September 19, 2014
Thank you Scotland, would be sad if one of favorite places on earth was no longer part of my home. Back to the highlands I can go!— Robert Kazinsky (@RobertKazinsky) September 19, 2014
Condolences to the YES voters. Scotland has been a beacon. Thank you for opening up this debate. Thoughts on Cameron's speech everyone?— Charlotte Church (@charlottechurch) September 19, 2014
Today will mark a watershed moment, not only for Scotland, but for the entire United Kingdom. Whichever way the... http://t.co/gUm89MTERk— Annie Lennox (@AnnieLennox) September 18, 2014
Och aye, it's the noo. #indyref— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) September 18, 2014
Have to force myself to bed....very early start. It's so close...but I still go to sleep in hope of a brighter Dawn. .......Agony....— Graham McTavish (@grahammctavish) September 19, 2014
Thank you Scotland - together we are Great Britain. X— Geri Halliwell (@GeriHalliwell) September 19, 2014
#indyref Been up all night watching Scotland make history. A huge turnout, a peaceful democratic process: we should be proud.— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) September 19, 2014
To be fair, I've always hated Scotland— Frankie Boyle (@frankieboyle) September 19, 2014
Yes still means something. Please try to remember that— Alan Cumming (@Alancumming) September 19, 2014
Fear is more powerful than faith. Until that changes none of us are free.— Russell Brand (@rustyrockets) September 19, 2014
Might have an early night.— Ian Rankin (@Beathhigh) September 18, 2014
Huge relief that we continue to be the United Kingdom— Richard E. Grant (@RichardEGrant) September 19, 2014
Even if it's "No," this would seem to be the start of something. That's how it seems to me. But I'm a complete outsider. #ScotlandDecides— Mara Wilson (@MaraWritesStuff) September 19, 2014
Gutted.— Sam Heughan (@Heughan) September 19, 2014
84.6% One way to unite today would be for every Scot to wear that number as a badge of pride. An extraordinary turnout. #indyref— Armando Iannucci (@Aiannucci) September 19, 2014