Celestial Pictures Deal with Sony Max Readies Africa for Shaw Brothers Kick
Martial arts film library now has Africa outlet.
HONG KONG – Shaw Brothers-style kung fu kicks off on African television for the first time as the Hong Kong-based owner of the studio’s 760-film library, Celestial Pictures, has signed a deal with Sony Max, Sony Pictures Television’s 24-hour action and reality channel in Africa.
Sony Max will broadcast exclusively on cable and satellite the classic martial arts titles including The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, The Chinese Boxer, Mad Monkey Kung Fu, Shaolin Temple, and Vengeance, all digitally restored.
The channel was launched in February 2011 in 48 countries in Africa on digital pay TV platform Multichoice, and has 3.3 million subscribers at present.
Celestial has inked deals previously with broadcasters in Asia, Europe, Australia, and North and South America to distribute Shaw Brothers kung-fu films via cable and satellite TV. The company’s new deal with Sony Max means the Shaw Brothers classics are now available on television on all the continents in the world except Antarctica.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR