Celine's Beijing date postponed
EmptyBEIJING -- Celine Dion will miss her scheduled Beijing debut on April 13, after rescheduling shows in the Australian segment of her "Taking Chances" world tour because of a throat infection.
"We regretfully announce that this rescheduling has made it impossible for Dion to perform in Beijing as originally planned," says a statement released April 1 by the show's promoter, Shanghai-based Emma Ticketmaster. "A new date will be announced as soon as possible." Full refunds are also being offered for ticket holders.
However, local news services speculate the Beijing show may be canceled altogether. The China Daily says Dion's husband, Rene Angelil, who is accompanying her on the tour, said doctors told Dion there was likely to be "sandy weather" in Beijing in April, and that she should avoid singing outdoors. Dion had been scheduled to perform at Beijing's newly refurbished Workers' Stadium.
"I've been looking forward to performing in Beijing for so long," Dion was quoted as saying in the Emma statement. "I'm really sorry to disappoint my fans, but I can't wait to see them when I return."
A performance at Shanghai Stadium, which will be Dion's mainland China debut, is still scheduled for April 11.