'The Vow' Stars Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams Talk Chemistry, Romance (Video)
The leads of Screen Gems' romantic drama told THR on the red carpet that being friends helped them to create sparks onscreen.
In The Vow, Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams star as husband and wife, who are enjoying their adorable relationship until the day that McAdams’ character Paige is seriously injured in a car accident. When she wakes up, she can’t remember the past five years of her life – and doesn’t know her husband Leo (Tatum) at all.
Leo spends the rest of the movie trying to get his wife to love him again.
McAdams and Tatum have both starred in romance films before, even both leading films based on books by Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook and Dear John respectively). But how did the co-stars create chemistry with each other?
“We get along really well. We got along right off the bat. So, it sort of happened quite naturally,” McAdams told THR on the red carpet at the premiere. “So it worked.”
Michael Sucsy, the director of The Vow, which opens in theaters on Friday, Feb. 10, told THR that McAdams what his first choice for the role of Paige, which he felt needed a likeable actress since she often acts out in the film after she loses her memory.
“The character of Paige when she dissociates from Leo, you want to keep rooting for here even if she’s not feeling the love for him, you want to still feel the love for her,” the Emmy-winning director added.
As for Tatum, Sucsy said he had his doubts about the actor, who’s starred in Public Enemies, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and Dear John.
“I thought, ‘Well, I don’t know. He’s kind of played military characters, kind of cold, I don’t know, this guy’s really warm,’” he said.
But his doubts were erased after he flew to New York and met the 31-year-old actor. “This guy’s got a huge heart. He is a white knight. It’s who he really is,” said Sucsy. “I don’t think anyone’s really seen him like that. Even in Dear John he still played military even though it was a romantic story. And I just thought, he’s perfect for Leo.”
At the premiere, Channing was joined by his wife, Jenna Dewan. Dewan walked the carpet before her husband, who stayed back to answer questions with McAdams.
At the premiere, Channing was asked who is more romantic – him or his wife? “We’re pretty even. I think that’s why it works,” said Channing, who got married in 2009. “The guy probably has to do more than the girls do. It’s our responsibility.”
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead