"We are profoundly concerned for his health and well-being, and support his decision," CBS says in a statement.
Charlie Sheen voluntarily entered an undisclosed rehabilitation center Friday, his spokesperson, Stan Rosenfield, tells THR.
“He is most grateful to all who have expressed their concern," his rep said in a statement. "Mr. Sheen asks that his privacy be respected at this time and that no additional informational will be provided."
In a statement, Two and a Half Men executive producer Chuck Lorre said: "Due to Charlie Sheen’s decision to enter a rehabilitation center, CBS, Warner Bros. Television and executive producer Chuck Lorre are placing Two and a Half Men on production hiatus. We are profoundly concerned for his health and well-being, and support his decision."
THR has learned that Lorre has confided to some associates in the last several says that he was distraught over Sheen's activities and was at a loss over how to get through to him.
This concern carried over to many involved with the hit CBS show.
"They are all afraid Charlie will end up dead," one talent rep close to the show told THR. "It is literally day by day."
The news comes a day after Sheen was rushed to the hospital
due to abdominal pain. On Friday morning, Sheen's spokesperson said the actor was doing well and was expected to return to work Tuesday.
Sheen has made headlines over the past few months. In October, he was arrested after trashing a posh Plaza Hotel suite naked in the company of an escort.
Working with Sheen is "always a little weird because like the stuff you hear is just unbelievable
," Sheen's Two and a Half Men
costar Jon Cryer
said earlier this week on Conan
. "I mean like... I'm checking TMZ, as I do everyday, to know if I have to go to work at all."
CBS entertainment chief Nina Tassler
told TV critics earlier this month she had a "high level of concern"
about the actor's personal life.