Charlie Sheen Reneges on 'Apoplectic' ABC News

 Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

Charlie Sheen just can't stop talking.

The embattled Two and a Half Men star promised ABC News an exclusive, according to network sources. But after sitting down with correspondent Amanda Canning on Saturday, he gave an interview to NBC News' Jeff Rossen on Sunday.

"Charlie Sheen assured us that we would be the only sit-down television interview this weekend, but he changed his mind," an ABC News spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter, adding, "He gave us the first interview, which was extensive and included tremendous access to his home, family and personal life."

ABC News personnel involved in the Sheen interview were said to be "apoplectic," according to one insider. But NBC News executives said they have not heard from their counterparts at ABC News.

NBC will air its interview Monday at 7:30 a.m. on Today. And ABC News will not reschedule the interview and will still run the bulk of it Tuesday at 10 p.m. on a special edition of newsmagazine 20/20. Portions of the interview will also air on Monday's Good Morning America, as previously planned.

And now both network's are claiming a first. While it was too late to strip the word "exclusive" out of the ABC News promos running in tonight's Oscar telecast, the network is nevertheless touting its "access." Meanwhile, NBC News is characterizing its interview as Sheen's "first television interview since his contentious public comments" about Men co-creator Chuck Lorre, despite the fact that it was conducted a day after ABC's interview. (And in a bit of corporate synergy, Ryan Seacrest teased the Today interview on E!'s Oscar red carpet.)

comments powered by Disqus