Charlie Sheen's Naughty, Bawdy Joke Man Reveals Surprising Secrets of the Tour (Exclusive Q&A)
Credited with saving the show, comic Jeffrey Ross reveals how he ended up on the "Torpedo of Truth" tour, the one topic that’s off-limits during the show and how he first had to insult Sheen to get the job.
How does comedian Jeffrey Ross describe his role as Charlie Sheen’s official Torpedo of Truth tour roaster? “I’m like a kid in a candy store,” he says. “The idea that you can roast a notorious figure like Charlie Sheen once is a dream, because there’s so much there. To take it another notch and do it live every night? I’m in heaven right now.”
Ross, known for his Comedy Central putdowns of Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff and Donald Trump, has eight Sheen dates under his belt and is scheduled to rejoin the tour in Vancouver on Monday and Seattle on Tuesday. He sat out Saturday's San Francisco show to honor a previous commitment to host an event for the charity Operation Mend.
In an exclusive interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Ross says he considers his 15-minute shtick “a public service” and “a moment of levity” in an otherwise grim, though fascinating, tale of a life lived to the max. It seems audiences agree, as many have commented on Twitter and YouTube that Ross “saved” the near-catastrophic trek, which was seeing walkouts and refund demands at many stops.
“It definitely makes me feel good to hear that,” he says. “Roasting saves lives. Telling the truth through tough love, through backhanded compliments, through harsh insults, it can be really therapeutic and bring people together. That's what I see happening between Charlie and the audience, and also between me and him.”
The Hollywood Reporter: First off, did you know Charlie prior to the tour?
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Social & Mobile
From our partners
- Charlie Sheen Might Be Ditching His Stage Name
- Amanda Bynes Maintains That She Did Not Throw a Bong, Claims NYPD Sexually Harassed Her
- Photos: Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, and Amy Adams on the Set of David O. Russell's American Hustle
- Watch Will and Jaden Smith Do a Father-Son Version of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air Rap