AFM: Buyers Line Up for Charlize Theron's 'Dark Places'
Nicholas Hoult, Chloe Grace Moretz, Christina Hendricks and Drea de Matteo also star in the adaptation of Gillian Flynn's acclaimed book.
International buyers are more than willing to follow Charlize Theron to Dark Places, as Exclusive Media racked up pre-sales deals across Europe and Asia for the feature film adaptation of Gillian Flynn's best-selling novel about a brutal crime and its impact a quarter of a century later.
Exclusive, which is producing and co-financing Dark Places, closed all-rights deals for the title at AFM for France (Mars), Canada (Remstar), Japan (CCC), Scandinavia (Svensk), Switzerland (Ascot Elite) and Russia (West) among many others. Dark Places has also all but sold out across Latin America, Eastern Europe and South-East Asia.
Theron stars as Libby Day, a woman who, as a 7-year-old, survived the massacre of her family. She testified against her brother as the murderer, but 25 years later, a group investigating the crime confronts her with questions about what really happened.
Nicholas Hoult, Chloe Grace Moretz, Christina Hendricks and Drea de Matteo also star. Gilles Paquet-Brenner (Sarah's Key) wrote and directed, with Exclusive Media and Cuatro Plus Films providing financing.
Exclusive's Matt Jackson is producing with Stephane Marsil of Hugo Films, Theron’s shingle Denver, Delilah Productions partners Beth Kono and AJ Dix and Mandalay’s Cathy Schulman and Matt Rhodes. Exclusive Media’s Guy East, Nigel Sinclair, Tobin Armbrust and Alex Brunner will receive executive producer credits along with Peter Safran.
Flynn's most recent novel, Gone Girl, spent eight weeks at no. 1 on the New York Times best-seller list and has sold some 2 million copies to date.
“The best-selling author of three novels including Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn has proven to be the big draw card to buyers, as well as the film’s all-star cast, and the response so far has been incredible,” said Alex Walton, president of international sales and distribution for Exclusive Media.
Dark Places is currently in post-production. Exclusive is screening the first footage of the film for buyers at AFM.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera