Cher Defends Chaz Bono Against People 'Terrified' of His Competing on 'Dancing With the F---ing Stars' (Video)
"If you got that excess time and that amount of hostility, I'm not so sure that I can say anything to you that would make you change your feelings," she says.
Cher has once again defended her son, Chaz Bono, against people upset over his being chosen as a competitor on the upcoming season of ABC's Dancing With the Stars.
On Wednesday's episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, the singer-actress surprised Bono by calling in during his guest appearance.
"If you got that excess time and that amount of hostility, I'm not so sure that I can say anything to you that would make you change your feelings," Cher said. "Because those are such feelings of hostility and fear that I don't know that I would have any magic words to could make you feel more comfortable and to soothe you into not being terrified of my child dancing on Dancing With the F--cking Stars."
When ABC announced late last moth that Bono, a transgender activist, would be competing on Season 13 of the show, many viewers lashed out online and accused the network of pushing a homosexual agenda.
In the face of all the criticism, Cher quickly took to Twitter to express her support for her son.
“Lovelies! Chaz is Being Viciously Attacked on Blogs & Message boards about being on DWTS! This is Still America Right? It took guts 2 do it,” she wrote Aug. 31. ““I support him no matter what he chooses 2 do! God! Will there always be haters! It took COURAGE 2 do dwts! TG Chaz has an Unlimited Supply.”
Meanwhile, DWTS executive producer Conrad Green recently told The Hollywood Reporter that the level of negative comments received have been unwarranted.
"We don't have an agenda of any sorts," he said.
Bono will be paired with Lacey Schwimmer as they embark on their quest for the mirrorball trophy. He told DeGeneres that he's feeling confident in his dancing skills so far.
"My first dance is pretty good now -- the cha-cha," he said. "The quickstep gives me nightmares, but I'm starting to feel pretty confident. We did it for some of the other people on the show today, and they seem to really like it."
In response, Cher said: "I got to tell you something. You doing this dance is about as scary as you making 'the change.' "
DWTS kicks off its 13th season Sept. 19.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofía Vergara Reveals Who She Dresses Up For (VIDEO)
- Before The Beat Drops: Heavy English's 'Black Dog' Brings Back Gritty, Bluesy Rock 'N' Roll
- Watch The First Promo For Fox's Controversial New Reality Dating Show 'I Wanna Marry Harry'
- Chelsea Handler Breaks Silence On That Infamous Instagram Photo And Why Network TV Isn't For Her
- Did You Catch the Coen Brothers Easter Egg in Fargo?
- Julie Klausner Talks to Billy Eichner About Billy on the Street, Mayim Bialik, and Getting Fuse to Agree to ‘Ask a Squirter’
- Watch Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and NBA Stars Live-Read Space Jam
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues