Chinese Director Yonfan to Head Up Busan New Currents Jury
Japanese actor Odagiri, festival director Pere are also on panel that will judge works from new Asia directors.
Chinese director and multi-hyphenate Yonfan will head the New Currents jury at the Busan International Film Festival in October.
Japanese actor Joe Odagiri, Chinese actress Jiang Wenli, Locarno film festival director Olivier Pere and Korean producer Oh Jung-wan make up the rest of the jury.
Yonfan is best known for films Bishonen, which was at the Berlin festival in 1999, and for Prince of Tears, which competed at the 2009 Venice Film Festival. He works not only as a director, but as a producer, script writer, production designer and actor.
Odagiri played the the lead in Kim Ki-duk’s Dream. In addition, Odagiri starred with Jang Dong-gun in the highly anticipated film, My Way by Kang Je-gyu.
Pere was a curator at the France Cinematheque in 1995 and he's been the festival director of Switzerland’s Locarno International Film Festival since 2009. Jiang Wenli was featured in Farewell My Concubine and other numerous films. Oh is the executive director of B.O.M. Film Productions where she developed, produced and promoted numerous Korean films.
The New Currents Award in Busan goes to the best feature film from a new Asian director.
The 16th Busan International Film Festival will be held from Oct. 6-14. The accompanying Asian Film Market and Asian Project Market runs from Oct. 10-13.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama