Chris Brown Addresses Rihanna Assault, J.Lo Collaborations on Ryan Seacrest's Radio Show
“I was arrogant and definitely hotheaded,” the singer says of the 2009 Rihanna incident.
Chris Brown is working on his humility.
Four years after being charged with felony assault, stemming from an altercation that left-girlfriend Rihanna battered and bruised, Brown still is apologizing for his behavior, which went on to include a chair-throwing incident at Good Morning America, a bar brawl with Drake, a smackdown with Frank Ocean (reportedly over a parking spot) and, most recently, an explosion at a valet that was caught on camera.
“People are entitled to their opinions. I can’t go around blaming,” Brown said during an interview with Ryan Seacrest on KIIS-FM. “It’s all about my responsibility and me growing up as a man. So I think now that I’m becoming older, and trying to mature in this life under the public eye at all times, I have to focus on doing the right thing and being more of a humble individual.”
Asked if age and immaturity were to blame for his assault on Rihanna, the 23-year-old Brown says that would “just be making an excuse.”
“I think for me at that age -- 18, 19 -- I was capable of writing and producing songs, so I’m also capable of making the right choices,” he said. “I think it’s about a learning process now. Being at that young age, I can tell you I was arrogant and definitely hotheaded. Everybody has a temper, but for me it was not knowing how to control it when I thought I had the world in my hands.”
Many have criticized the pop princess for getting back into a relationship with the man who beat her, and Brown admits that he “didn’t know” if Rihanna would ever forgive him.
“I just tried my best to be the best man I could be over the years and just show her how remorseful and sorry I was for the incident,” he said. “That time was probably the worst part of my life, and being that she’s a wonderful person, I’m eternally grateful.”
But Brown didn’t call into Seacrest’s program just to rehash past mistakes, including the March 6 valet incident in which Brown’s temper begins to surface over a $10 fee (Brown said that he had already given the man $100 and that “he was just going around trying to see if he could get more money”). No, Brown also has new music to promote.
Jennifer Lopez made headlines recently when she tweeted a photo of herself with Brown in the studio. “We are actually collaborating,” explained Brown. “I’m trying to get her on my album; I have a couple songs that would be incredible for her to feature on. But as for now, I’m just in the studio writing for hers and collaborating on new stuff and trying to give her some party music.”
Brown’s next release is slated for April 1, when he will reveal “Fine China,” the lead single off his upcoming sixth studio album, X. Amid his promotional blitz, Brown previewed several tracks for USA Today as part of a feature published Tuesday.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR