Chris Coelen launching production company
Former RDF USA CEO's firm to focus on unscripted series
Former RDF USA CEO Chris Coelen is putting in motion Kinetic Content.
Coelen is launching the production company, which will focus on the development and production of unscripted series.
He has started to assemble Kinetic's creative team, bringing in three executives he worked with at RDF -- Jennifer Danska, Gerald Massimei and Katie Griffin -- and hiring former "Dancing With the Stars" co-exec producer Matilda Zoltowski.
Zoltowski and Danska will serve as senior vp development and current series, respectively. Massimei has been named vp development and current, and Griffin is manager of development.
Coelen is still hiring and expects to end up with a team of 8-10 creative execs.
For now, he is financing the enterprise himself but said he's fielding offers from potential strategic partners and planning to form alliances, especially on the international side, and establish ties in the branded entertainment space.
Coelen will introduce Santa Monica-based Kinetic in April at MIPTV in Cannes. He said he envisions the company being "creatively led and being very, very robust from a creative perspective."
Coelen started off as an agent until being tapped to run RDF USA in 2006. He exited the company in December.
Coelen called his four-year stint atop RDF USA "a huge learning curve about what makes a production company work."
"I made a lot of good decisions that paid off, and there were the kinds of decisions I would've done differently," he said.
As for naming his new company Kinetic, "It's about kinetic energy, the energy that comes from being in motion," he said. "I feel like we always make stuff happen."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty