Chris Rock to Make Broadway Debut March 15
The comedian is set to play a recovery counselor in the blue-collar comedy "The Motherf--ker With the Hat."
Now that he's conquered the standup comedy circuit and Hollywood, Chris Rock took steps this week on his way to tackling Broadway by beginning rehearsals for Stephen Adly Guirgis' The Motherf--ker With the Hat.
Set to begin previews on March 15 before opening April 11 at the Gerald Shoenfeld Theatre, the blue-collar comedy has been described by Rock as "The Honeymooners with drugs." The show will feature the 46-year-old performer in his Broadway debut playing a goateed drug counselor. Veteran TV actors Elizabeth Rodriguez, Bobby Cannavale and The Sopranos alumna Annabella Sciorra co-star in the production that is being directed by Tony Award winner Anna D. Shapiro.
Rock has embraced the unique creative process of Broadway and tells the Associated Press that if the show's 15-week run goes well, "I could absolutely do one of these every once in a while."
"I like this process because it values the writer," Rock said. "Literally, nothing's done without the writer's approval -- and that's so different from the movies. In the movies, they kind of hate the writers. The writers' union needs a Rosa Parks."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'True Detective' Deleted Scene: Rust and Lori Break Up
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Crushes Things In A Giant Tank For A Good Cause
- 'Of Many' Film Produced By Chelsea Clinton To Premier At Tribeca Film Festival, Featuring Muslim-Jewish Relations
- The 'High School Musical' Song Ranking You've Been Waiting For