Christian Bale's Mystery Mumble to Robert De Niro: What He Said
The best supporting actor winner blurted out De Niro's name at the end of his speech -- as the show cut away to commercial.
What did Christian Bale say to Robert De Niro after taking the stage to accept his best supporting actor Golden Globe for The Fighter? (As Bale was finishing up his speech, he blurted out De Niro's name, swore and began talking again before the music swelled up and the show cut to commercial.)
"I just told him he's the shit. You see an actor of that caliber and Robert Duvall… I don't know if he's here… those guys are the shit," Bale joked to a room full of reporters backstage. "I just wanted to say I'm proud to be in the same room as him."
Bale was also asked about host Ricky Gervais, who has already skewered Angelina Jolie, Charlie Sheen and Scientology Sunday.
"I hope he's going to keep going further. That's what tonight is all about," said Bale. "Everything's up for a joke."
Bale also explained why he so profusely thanked Relativity Media's Ryan Kavanaugh.
"He told me if I thanked him personally, he'd pay me for the next movie we do," he said.
Bale sported long hair backstage, but it's not for a role.
"The long hair is unemployment," said Bale. "I haven't worked since The Fighter."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!