Christopher Nolan to Be Honored with Founder's Award at 20th Slamdance Fest (Exclusive)
The "Dark Knight Rises” director's first feature, “Following,” screened at the Park City counter-programming competition in 1999.
Reminding us that its slate of films and filmmakers is a wealth of talent waiting to be mined, the Slamdance Film Festival has announced that its first-ever Founder's Award will be granted to Christopher Nolan.
Before reinventing the Batman franchise for Warner Bros. and brewing original ideas like Memento, Inception, The Prestige and the upcoming Interstellar, Nolan screened Following, his first film shot for a mere $6,000, at the 1999 festival.
Nolan will be honored at the Slamdance Film Festival headquarters, in the Treasure Mountain Inn in Park City.
"Throughout his incredible successes, Christopher Nolan has stood firmly behind the Slamdance filmmaking community. We are honored to present him with Slamdance's inaugural Founder's Award," said Slamdance president and co-founder Peter Baxter in a statement.
In the same statement, Nolan gratefully accepts the award, thanking the festival for giving him his first chance to connect with audiences.
“Slamdance continues to provide an important forum for emerging filmmakers and I'm proud to be part of their history,” Nolan said.
Slamdance's 20th anniversary line-up consists of 93 films, including the premiere of DIY , a short documentary following the historical development of the Do-It-Yourself indie film movement, which spotlights he careers of Nolan, Benh Zeitlin, Rian Johnson, Marc Forster, Nina Menkes and Oren Peli.
The 2014 Slamdance Film Festival will take place from Jan. 17th - 23rd, 2014 at the Treasure Mountain Inn, located at 255 Main Street.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws