Chubby Checker Sues HP Over Manhood-Measuring App
The singer has met the Chubby Checker the app and he's not happy about it.
Chubby Checker the singer has met Chubby Checker the app. And he's not happy about it. The iconic singer is suing Hewlett-Packard for including an app on its phones and tablets that was not only named after the 71-year-old Checker, but it measured a man's manhood based on his shoe size.
Checker is suing HP for $500,000,000 as a result, his lawyers arguing that customers were "misled into believing that the plaintiffs have endorsed the defendant's app." He fears the app might associate his name with sexual and obscene images.
The lawsuit, which was reported by the New York Daily News, asserts that Checker "received no compensation for the unauthorized use of the Chubby Checker name and trademark."
The app, which was developed by Magic Apps, was reportedly downloaded 84 times before it was discontinued in September of last year.
Still, Checker and pals aren't happy.
"We cannot sit idly and watch as technology giants or anyone else exploits the name or likeness of an innocent person with the goal of making millions of dollars," said Willie Gary, Checker's attorney. "The defendants have marketed Chubby Checkers' name on their product to gain a profit and this just isn't right."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera