Cinedigm Acquires Distribution Rights to 'Adventures of the Penguin King'
The Tim Allen-narrated documentary, adapted from a U.K. version, will receive a multi-platform release in the U.S. and Canada.
Cinedigm has acquired the North American distribution rights to Adventures of a Penguin King, a feature length kid-friendly documentary shot in high definition 4k and 3D.
The film was originally released in the U.K. in October 2012 as Penguin King 3D with the voice of David Attenborough. For the U.S. version, the title was changed to Adventures of the Penguin King and Tim Allen replaced Attenborough’s narration.
Cinedigm is planning a multi-platform release of Adventures of the Penguin King this winter that includes digital, DOD, DVD and theatrical distribution in an estimated 20-50 theaters. Essentially any device that you can see the film on is handled with the distribution package.
The film was produced by Atlantic Productions in association with British media company BSkyB and U.S. based Galileo Digital Entertainment.
The documentary follows a King Penguin Rex (Allen) living near the remote island of South Georgia also known as “Penguin City,” a sub-Antarctic habitat that is home to leopards, elephant seals, albatrosses and six million penguins. The story is about what happens when Rex, after years at sea as a bachelor, returns home eager to settle down and start a family.
“In Cinedigm we’ve found a partner to bring this warm-hearted and compelling film to theatres in the U.S. and Canada,” said Anthony Geffen, the film’s producer and CEO of Atlantic Productions.
Vincent Scordino, vp of theatrical acquisitions for Cinedigm, negotiated the deal with John Morris of Atlantic Productions.
“The demand for high quality, family-friendly features has never been stronger and we’re thrilled to be continuing our expansion into this space with Atlantic Productions as partners,” said Scordino. “Families will be captivated and moved by this wonderfully exciting story and the wildly entertaining Tim Allen.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game