CinemaCon: Universal Announces 'Fast & Furious 7' Release Date, 'Pitch Perfect' Sequel
The cast of the action franchise took the stage during the presentation in Las Vegas, which also featured new footage from five upcoming films.
LAS VEGAS -- Universal's presentation during CinemaCon may have wrapped up with clips from the upcoming Fast & Furious 6, which hits theaters May 24, but it also announced that the next installment, Fast & Furious 7, would hit theaters just a little over a year later -- on July 11, 2014.
Stars Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Gina Carano, Sung Kang and Tyrese Gibson joined producer Neal H. Moritz and Universal chairman Adam Fogelson onstage to present new footage from Fast & Furious 6.
"The next one, which is probably going to be the biggest one of all, is going to be in theaters on July 11, 2014," Diesel told the crowd. James Wan will direct this chapter, and Moritz and Diesel return as producers.
The Universal presentation, helmed by Fogelson, also included new footage from four of the studio's upcoming films: Kick Ass 2, Despicable Me 2, R.I.P.D and 2 Guns.
While reviewing Universal's films from the past year, Fogelson also announced that Pitch Perfect writer Kay Cannon has been signed on to pen a sequel for the musical sleeper hit. He added that it would release in 2015.
After mentioning the success of Pitch Perfect and Les Miserables, Fogelson joked, "We've made an executive decision to require all of our actors to sing."
Fogelson added that a sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman would hit theaters in 2015 as well.
Universal screened a well-received, 20-minute preview of Despicable Me 2, the sequel to the 2010 animated film from producer Chris Meledandri’s Illumination Entertainment. It looks like the July 3 release will again be filled with both humor and heart.
Gru (Steve Carell) returns with the girls and, of course, the minions -- who in the first scene of the preview are vacationing on a beach. We then see Gru in a fatherly role, throwing a birthday party for as well as offering parental advice to his youngest, Agnes. The adventure begins when Gru is recruited by the Anti-Villains League to help it capture the villain El Macho (Al Pacino).
Along the way, Gru teams with new partner and love interest Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig). The franchise will continue to expand in 2014 with another release, titled Minions.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama