Cineworld Adds Imax Theater in Glasgow to U.K. Circuit
The Canada-based giant screen exhibitor has been looking to diversify outside its core North American market.
TORONTO - U.K. cinema chain Cineworld Group has added yet another Imax theater to its chain, this time in Glasgow, Scotland.
The move brings its stable of Imax screens to 13 as part of an existing revenue sharing agreement between the companies.
Cineworld inked a deal with the Glasgow Science Centre, an Imax exhibitor since 2000, to take over the theater and install an Imax digital theater system before transitioning to a dual 4K laser projection system.
The U.K. exhibitor in June expanded its ties with Imax by adding another three screens. The Scottish deal comes as the Canada-based giant screen exhibitor, led by CEO Richard Gelfond, diversifies outside its core North American market.
Cineworld Group operates 81 cinemas across the U.K. and Ireland.
"As we expand our network throughout Europe, growing relationships with partners such as Cineworld is a key strategy to support our growth," said Andrew Cripps, president, Imax EMEA. "Together with Cineworld, we look forward to bringing even more audiences across the U.K. the biggest blockbusters in the world's most immersive film format."
Said Crispin Lilly, vp of business affairs at Cineworld: "The IMAX Experience® has become synonymous with the biggest event movies and, as such, we're pleased to build on our successful partnership."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR