Claire Danes on Struggles Before 'Homeland'
The actress tells Vogue she wasn't getting the roles she wanted and discusses her surreal night at the Golden Globes.
Before Claire Danes took on a starring role in the Showtime series Homeland, the actress actually considered a career change during a brutal stretch in which she was out of work for two years.
After her award-winning performance in the 2010 HBO telefilm Temple Grandin, she struggled to find another fulfilling role.
"It was confusing. I got a lot of plaudits, and it didn’t translate into more work. I was really, really struggling during that time,” Danes tells Vogue. "And a point came where I thought, 'I really like interior design.' Someone suggested, ‘Maybe your real success is in your personal life.’ ”
When she was offered the part on Homeland, she was deciding between that and a role as J. Edgar Hoover's secretary in the Leonardo DiCaprio film J. Edgar.
Her role as Carrie Mathison in Homeland has earned her multiple awards and given her the opportunity to meet powerful people.
At the Golden Globes in January, Danes had to juggle being an acclaimed actress and a new mom.
As she explained onstage, her newborn son, Cyrus, was upstairs with her parents during the show.
“I went on the red carpet, went upstairs, fed Cyrus. Went into the ceremony, got the award, went back to feed Cyrus, went out again. … Then it was, ‘Now you meet the president.’ ”
Danes continues: “I had these new boobs; I’m wearing a big Jessica Rabbit dress, and I’d been living in sweatpants for so long. . . . It was strange. It was dreamy, surrounded by my parents and my husband. It was one of the best nights of my life because of this perfect mashup.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)