Clear Channel Parent Posts Higher First-Quarter Loss
The radio giant, led by CEO Bob Pittman, saw its media and entertainment revenue rise 6 percent though, including an acquisition.
CC Media Holdings, the parent of radio giant Clear Channel Communications, on Friday reported higher first-quarter revenue, but also a bigger loss.
The company, led by CEO Bob Pittman, reported a loss of $144 million, up from a year-ago loss of $131 million as the company continued to invest in new initiatives, driving operating expenses up by 9 percent.
Total company revenue increased 3 percent to $1.36 billion, or 4 percent when excluding the effects of currency fluctuations. Quarterly media and entertainment revenue of $671.5 million, up 6 percent from the year-ago period. The growth was primarily driven by the acquisition of a part of radio syndication firm Westwood One.
Management said Friday that radio advertising trends are improving in the current quarter. Beyond radio, the company also has a big outdoor advertising business that was weaker-than-expected in the latest quarter.
“Despite the slow advertising recovery, we generated growth of 3 percent in revenues during our traditionally slow first quarter,” said CFO Tom Casey.
“Since the start of 2012, we have continued to invest in our rapidly growing digital products and services, while strengthening our operations to better serve our marketing partners and our consumers," Pittman said.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David