'Cloverfield' Director Matt Reeves Inks Overall Deal at 20th TV
The "Felicity" co-creator and frequent J.J. Abrams collaborator will create, write, direct and supervise drama series for the studio.
Cloverfield director Matt Reeves is heading back to TV.
Twentieth Century Fox TV has inked an overall deal with the writer/director best known in small-screen circles for co-creating Felicity with J.J. Abrams. More recently, Reeves’ name has appeared on the short-list for top pilot directors each spring. To hear 20th TV chairman Gary Newman tell it, the studio has been “hounding him for years.”
As part of the new pact, Reeves will be tasked with creating and writing his own fare, supervising other drama projects and signing on to direct top-priority projects for the studio. He is expected to sit down with Newman and fellow chairman Dana Walden later this week to discuss potential projects, but has already expressed interest in returning to a medium in which he’s able to develop characters over several years.
“He’s so versatile and open to all of it, and people just love working with him,” Newman tells The Hollywood Reporter of the frequent Abrams collaborator, whose focus in recent years has been on the feature side.
Adds Reeves: “This is an incredibly exciting time in the television business and I look forward to working closely with my partners at Twentieth Television to develop innovative new series for both network and cable.”
Reeves, whose other credits include Let Me In, The Pallbearer and an upcoming Twilight Zone feature set up at Warner Bros., is repped by CAA, 3 Arts, and Jackoway Tyerman.
Email: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed