CNN Could Acquire Mashable (Report)
UPDATED: The news brand is in talks to buy the website focusing on social media and technology.
CNN is in the midst of the potential acquisition of Mashable, a website largely devoted to coverage of social media and technology, The New York Times reports.
The Time Warner-owned news brand is in "advanced talks" with Mashable for a potential buy, sources told the Times while also cautioning that such a deal might not come to fruition.
Mashable, which launched in 2005, has made a name covering startups and social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, in addition to tech-industry news. If CNN.com were to acquire the site, it could gain more prominence -- and credibility -- within the internet startup community.
"We do not engage in speculation about our business and we aren't commenting on these reports," a CNN.com spokesman told THR on Monday.
Meanwhile, CNN-Mashable chatter has been widespread at the South by Southwest tech-and-entertainment confab in Austin, Texas, where both companies have been hosting events. There has been no official confirmation as to the talks, and CNN denied a Sunday-night report by Reuters that an announcement could come Tuesday.
CNN.com previously acquired Zite, a web app that curates content for users on iPads and iPhones, for somewhere in the ballpark of $20-to-$25 million; Mashable has forged content partnerships with such outlets as ABC News and CNN, with which the site has a syndication deal.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!